Achieve a CÉIM Collaborative Learner Digital Badge
What is a digital badge?
A digital badge is an online ‘micro-credential’ that can help you showcase your skills development. Digital badges can be featured in your CV, on social media websites including LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook, or a website. They can help provide a talking point an interviews. Digital badges are increasingly being used as a means of proving and showing the effort involved in developing skills.
Badges are comprised of two parts:
– A graphical design or image, like the one pictured above.
– ‘Metadata’, which consists of information, such as the criteria of the badge (what you have to do in order to achieve it), and who issued it.
CÉIM Collaborative Learner Digital Badge for 1st year students
In 2018/19, CÉIM is piloting awarding a digital badge for collaborative learning to 1st year students who attend CÉIM sessions regularly in a single discipline and reflect briefly on their learning. The badge is currently open to 1st year students in the following disciplines where CÉIM is offered: BA Law, Geography, Political Science & Sociology and Engineering.
The CÉIM Collaborative Learner Digital Badge from NUI Galway/NUI Galway Students’ Union will be awarded to 1st year students who:
(1) Attend 13 or more CÉIM sessions out of 19/20 during the 2018/19 academic year with minimum 5 sessions attended in semester 1 and minimum 5 sessions attended in semester 2. Note: for Political Science and Sociology students, 11 or more CÉIM sessions must be attended with minimum 3 sessions attended in semester 1 and minimum 3 sessions attended in semester 2.
(2) Complete a short online reflection activity at the end of Semester 1 (deadline: Sunday, 16 December)
(3) Complete a short online reflection activity at the end of Semester 2 (deadline: Sunday, 28 April)
– Any 1st year student who has attended 5 or more CÉIM sessions in Semester 1 2018/19 (3 for Political Science & Sociology) will be sent an email to complete the first online reflection activity. This should take about 10-20 minutes to complete.
– Students who have completed the first online reflection activity and have attended the required number of sessions in both semesters will be emailed the second online reflection activity to complete at the end of Semester 2.
– Students who have completed both reflection activities will be awarded the CÉIM Collaborative Learner Digital Badge in May 2019.
Students who are awarded the CÉIM Collaborative Learner Digital Badge will be emailed information about how to download and use the badge, and will receive a web link to information about the badge.
Further information on Collaborative Learner badge and badge Metadata
CÉIM runs in multiple disciplines and 1st year students may be eligible to receive the Collaborative Learner badge in more than one discipline. Please note there is only ONE Collaborative Learner badge (it is NOT differentiated by discipline), so students will only be awarded one CÉIM Collaborative Learner badge regardless of how many disciplines they have participated in CÉIM in – multiple badges cannot be awarded. As a result, students should choose ONE discipline in which to apply for the badge.
It is up to students as CÉIM participants to articulate to employers/academics/others their experience in CÉIM and any skills developed as a result – the more CÉIM disciplines students have taken part in, the more they will have to reflect on and talk about.